The first night of Athens Fashion Week was a huge success! I took almost 200 photos during the course of the evening, and I would have taken more but I was also simultaneously live tweeting from the runway for @AthFashionWeek. Here are a few of my favorite shots from the shows, each of which was absolutely amazing. We were so fortunate to have such talented designers!
LK Fashion Show, 4 p.m.
Emma Graham Fashion Show, 5 p.m.
Men’s Fashion Show, 6:30 p.m.
Judith March Show, 8 p.m.
Victoria’s Secret Swimsuit Show, 9 p.m.
Photo by Tiberiu Ana.
St. Patrick’s Day is tomorrow, and if you don’t have any set plans yet, consider inviting your friends over for a last minute get together. With easy-to-make recipes, cocktails and crafty decorations, all you need are some festive tunes and drinking games (think creating limericks a few cocktails in) to really get the party started.
1. Food: Nothing brings people together like good food, so make sure your guests have something delicious to snack on. For a festively green appetizer, try this pea pesto crostini shared by Emily Schuman of Cupcakes and Cashmere. Equally simple ideas include reuben rolls, hot artichoke spinach dip and corned beef spread. For dessert, the mouthwatering options are endless. I could barely keep from drooling over these chocolate mint sandwiches and chocolate shots.
2. Drink: Of course you’ll have plenty of Guinness and green-colored beer on hand. (Remember, you must use a light beer for the green food coloring to show.) To add a fun twist, try concocting a lime shandy. The recipe requires minimal effort, and your guests will love it. If you’re thirsty for more, The Cocktail Lovers share three other ideas here.
3. Décor: When decorating for a St. Patrick’s Day gathering, paper shamrock cutouts and leprechaun images are abused and overused. There is no surer way to look overly cliché than resorting to “Kiss me I’m Irish” paper dinnerware and pot of gold centerpieces. Naturally, the genius that is Martha Stewart has found a way to make the occasion a classier affair but still equally as festive. You can view her decorating suggestions here. Personally, I love the whimsical green flower arrangements.
All photos from Cupcakes and Cashmere.
If you partied a little too hardy for Mardi Gras last night, you probably woke up this morning with a nasty hangover.
A quick search on WebMD revealed that there is no cure for a hangover. The only sure solution is prevention: drink in moderation or abstain from drinking entirely. But before you panic, there are steps that you can take to minimize the aftereffects of a night out. Follow these steps, and you’ll be back to your fabulous self in no time.
1. Put effort into your appearance. While it is extremely tempting to skip your morning routine, don’t let this happen! If anything you need more personal attention than usual. Take the time to shower; it will leave you feeling refreshed. Follow your usual make-up routine and pull your hair off of your face. It will make you look more polished, and you’ll be needing that.
2. Drink plenty of fluids. Grab a tall glass of water, juice or a sports drink. It’s important to rehydrate and replenish your body with Vitamin C and electrolytes. While it may be tempting to grab a cold Coke or strong cup of coffee, step away from the caffeine. It will only continue to dehydrate you.
3. Get some exercise. I’m not talking about a 10-mile sprint, but do something to get your blood flowing and your heart pumping. I suggest taking a relaxing stroll outside. You’ll enjoy soaking up some sunshine.
4. Take a cue from the guys. Check out this article from BroBible.com about the 25 best hangover food and drinks. While these foods deliver absolutely no nutritional value, there is something to be said for greasy foods the morning after a wild night. The article suggests drinking a Bloody Mary; the tomato juice and celery provide a boost of vitamins, and your body focuses on processing the new alcohol, thus ignoring last night’s binge.
5. Catch up on your Zzzs. People sleep poorly after a night of drinking, so you’re already not getting a full night’s rest and on top of that, your body is actively processing the alcohol in your system. After your day is done, come home and crawl under the covers. From Health.com, here are 7 tips for the best sleep ever.
Photo by Leo Fung.
Valentine’s Day is quickly approaching, and the single gals might be feeling a little less fabulous without a lover to share it with. Well snap out of it right now! You can still have a glamorous evening with the company of your true soul mates – your girlfriends. (Anyone get the Sex and the City reference?)
1. Have the girls over for dinner. Because restaurants are going to be packed with couples, stay in and cook dinner with your girlfriends. You can make “Lonely Hearts Lasagna,” “Singles Spaghetti” or “Bachelorette Baked Ziti. Ok, clearly, I’m partial to Italian food. For dessert, try these tasty treats courtesy of no other than Paula Deen.
2. Host a Bachelor viewing party. This idea is from yumsugar.com, and you can click here to find out how it’s done. And if you’re in need of a flirty cocktail recipe, try these. Personally, I think the X-rated sangria sounds especially delicious.
3. Throw a singles party. If you aren’t in the mood for a strictly ladies only night, why not assemble all of the sexy singles you know for the evening? After all, misery loves company. If you’re feeling crafty, Better Homes and Garden shared a number of cutesy DIY decorating projects here.